This unit of work popular music for stage 6 is of the music syllabus. This blogpost will be based around two sub genres but of the same song that is Sweet dreams – Eurythmics and Sweet Dreams – Emily Browning/ Sucker punch Soundtrack.
Students are to write a report on the musical concepts used in the two songs and to compare the differences between the two. A few hints to start the ball rolling
- look at pitch and describe the the contour of the melody
- is phrasing long short or symmetrical
- discuss tone colour between the two songs
- discuss instruments used such as vocals, guitar, drums, synths or any electronic sound.
- discuss and analyse dynamics and expressive techniques.
- to conclude in your opinion which of the two pieces has impacted your view on popular music.
- reference appropriately
Sweet dreams – Eurythmics
Sweet Dreams – Emily Browning/ Sucker punch Soundtrack.